About Roxeth Mead

Hebe Catherine Prior was widowed in 1855 at the age of 37. Her barrister husband, Xoán, was riding home from his chambers when he fell from his horse and hit his head. Two days later, he died. She had to find a way to support herself and her ten children, so she sold her home and bought Roxeth Mead, unha casa grande de Xeorxia en Harrow on the Hill, and there founded a small school.

Her pupils were mainly her own children and the children of masters of Harrow School. To this day, a escola aínda números entre os seus alumnos de máster Harrow’ nenos.

A escola prosperou e, como a señora deputada Antes crecía, four of her daughters took over its organisation. The youngest, Florence (coñecida como Miss Flo), retired in 1932. The school was fortunate enough to pass into the capable hands of Miss Nicholson (coñecida como Miss Nick), who was its head until she died more than 30 anos despois.

For some years the school was run by Mrs Eleanor Elgood, followed by Mrs Jean Vernon. Then, en 1982, Deputada Averil Collins converteuse en xefe, un posto que ocupou durante 24 years. During her tenure, the school had to leave the premises that had been its home for 130 years. Harrow School came to the rescue, providing temporary accommodation for 3 years in its sixth form club.

In 1992, by a stroke of good fortune, the neighbouring proberty to the original house called Roxeth Mead, cam onto the market and the school was able to buy Buckholt House, súa casa actual.

Mrs Alison Isaacs became its new Head in 2006. Under her leadership, the school continued to flourish, mantendo as tradicións do pasado e asumindo os novos desenvolvementos e ollando para o futuro. Mrs Isaacs retired as the Headteacher in July 2018, but remains at the school as a teacher, part-time.

In April 2018 the Proprietors sold the school to Mrs Suzanne Goodwin (the Headteacher of The Hall School, Northwood) who now manages it with her two daughters, Mrs Sarah Mackintosh and Mrs Claire Blunt.