History of Roxeth Mead School

Hebe Catherine Prior was widowed in 1855 at the age of 37. Her barrister husband, جون, was riding home from his chambers when he fell from his horse and hit his head. Two days later, he died. She had to find a way to support herself and her ten children, so she sold her home and bought Roxeth Mead, بيت كبير الجورجية في هارو على هيل, وهناك أسس مدرسة صغيرة.

Her pupils were mainly her own children and the children of masters of Harrow School. To this day, المدرسة لا يزال بين أعداد التلاميذ في الماجستير هارو’ الأطفال.

وازدهرت المدرسة, كما نمت قبل السيدة أقدم, four of her daughters took over its organisation. The youngest, Florence (فلو المعروفة باسم الآنسة), retired in 1932. The school was fortunate enough to pass into the capable hands of Miss Nicholson (known as Miss Nick), who was its head until she died more than 30 سنوات في وقت لاحق.

For some years the school was run by Mrs Eleanor Elgood, followed by Mrs Jean Vernon. Then, في 1982, أصبحت السيدة كولينز رئيس آفيريل, وظيفة شغلت ل 24 years. During her tenure, the school had to leave the premises that had been its home for 130 years. Harrow School came to the rescue, providing temporary accommodation for 3 years in its sixth form club.

In 1992, by a stroke of good fortune, the neighbouring property to the original house called Roxeth Mead, came onto the market and the school was able to buy Buckholt House, its present home.

Mrs Alison Isaacs became its new Head in 2006. Under her leadership, the school continues to flourish, المحافظة على تقاليد الماضي في حين تحتضن التطورات الجديدة والتطلع إلى المستقبل.