History of Roxeth Mead School

Hebe Catherine Prior was widowed in 1855 at the age of 37.  Her barrister husband, John, was riding home from his chambers when he fell from his horse and hit his head.  Two days later, he died.  She had to find a way to support herself and her ten children, so she sold her home and bought  Roxeth Mead, a large Georgian house in Harrow on the Hill, and there founded a small school.

Her pupils were mainly her own children and the children of masters of Harrow School.  To this day, the school still numbers among its pupils Harrow masters’ children.

The school thrived and, as Mrs Prior grew older, four of her daughters took over its organisation.  The youngest, Florence (known as Miss Flo), retired in 1932.  The school was fortunate enough to pass into the capable hands of Miss Nicholson (known as Miss Nick), who was its head until she died more than 30 years later.

For some years the school was run by Mrs Eleanor Elgood, followed by Mrs Jean Vernon.  Then, in 1982, Mrs Averil Collins became head, a post she held for 24 years.  During her tenure, the school had to leave the premises that had been its home for 130 years.  Harrow School came to the rescue, providing temporary accommodation for 3 years in its sixth form club.

In 1992, by a stroke of good fortune, the neighbouring property to the original house called Roxeth Mead, came onto the market and the school was able to buy Buckholt House, its present home.

Mrs Alison Isaacs became its new Head in 2006.  Under her leadership, the school continues to flourish, maintaining the traditions of the past while embracing new developments and looking ahead to the future.