Histoire de l'école Mead Roxeth

Hebe Catherine Prior was widowed in 1855 at the age of 37. Her barrister husband, John, was riding home from his chambers when he fell from his horse and hit his head. Two days later, he died. She had to find a way to support herself and her ten children, so she sold her home and bought Roxeth Mead, une grande maison géorgienne à Harrow on the Hill, et il a fondé une petite école.

Her pupils were mainly her own children and the children of masters of Harrow School. To this day, l'école compte encore parmi ses élèves maîtres Harrow’ les enfants.

L'école a prospéré et, Avant que Mme grandissant, four of her daughters took over its organisation. The youngest, Florence (connu sous le nom Miss Flo), retired in 1932. The school was fortunate enough to pass into the capable hands of Miss Nicholson (connu sous le nom Miss Nick), qui était sa tête jusqu'à sa mort plus de 30 ans plus tard.

Depuis quelques années, l'école était dirigée par Mme Eleanor Elgood, followed by Mrs Jean Vernon. Then, dans 1982, Mme Averil Collins est devenu le chef, un poste qu'elle a occupé pendant 24 years. During her tenure, l'école a dû quitter les lieux qui avaient été son domicile pour 130 years. Harrow School came to the rescue, assurant un hébergement temporaire pour 3 ans dans son club de sixième.

In 1992, par un coup de chance, the neighbouring property to the original house called Roxeth Mead, came onto the market and the school was able to buy Buckholt House, son domicile actuel.

Mrs Alison Isaacs became its new Head in 2006. Under her leadership, l'école continue à prospérer, maintenir les traditions du passé tout en embrassant les nouveaux développements et en regardant vers l'avenir.