History of Roxeth Mead School

Hebe Catherine Prior was widowed in 1855 at the age of 37. Her barrister husband, John, was riding home from his chambers when he fell from his horse and hit his head. Two days later, he died. She had to find a way to support herself and her ten children, so she sold her home and bought Roxeth Mead, liela Gruzijas māja Harrow on the Hill, un tur nodibināja maza skola.

Her pupils were mainly her own children and the children of masters of Harrow School. To this day, skola joprojām skaitu no saviem skolēniem Harrow meistaru’ bērniem.

Skolas thrived un, kā BF Pirms kļuva vecāki, four of her daughters took over its organisation. The youngest, Florence (pazīstams kā Miss Flo), retired in 1932. The school was fortunate enough to pass into the capable hands of Miss Nicholson (known as Miss Nick), who was its head until she died more than 30 gadiem.

For some years the school was run by Mrs Eleanor Elgood, followed by Mrs Jean Vernon. Then, kas 1982, Kundze Averil Collins kļuva vadītājs, amatu viņa tur 24 years. During her tenure, the school had to leave the premises that had been its home for 130 years. Harrow School came to the rescue, providing temporary accommodation for 3 years in its sixth form club.

In 1992, by a stroke of good fortune, the neighbouring property to the original house called Roxeth Mead, came onto the market and the school was able to buy Buckholt House, its present home.

Mrs Alison Isaacs became its new Head in 2006. Under her leadership, skolas turpina attīstīties, saglabājot tradīcijas pagātnē, bet ietver jaunu notikumu attīstību un gaidāmo nākotni.